More daffodils! This time I did a value sketch before I began to paint. I think it did help me with the final painting. The sketch is not to scale for the picture, but it does give the areas of light and dark. You can see the light is sort of to the left, and perhaps a bit to the front.
Next, the basic outline of the daffodils on the paper.
Finally, the painting itself. It’s better in some ways than the earlier ones I did, but it just isn’t what I want to accomplish. Parts of it look forced – specifically, the flowers. Still there is a better sense of painterly-ness here! And, the value sketch helped a lot.
Currently I am using Canson XL paper, which is a student grade paper. For really wet washes, it doesn’t work that well, yet I find it quite to my liking as a practice paper for the most part.