Still working in pastel. I cleaned up the pastels I was using yesterday by putting them in a container of corn meal and shaking them gently. It did the job. I also took a different approach to today’s painting, and the difference is evident to me (cuz I did it!).
I decided to use a piece of 7×11 Uart 800 sanded pastel paper, which is the finest grit in the Uart series. I bought a sample pack a while back, and now that I think I get how to use pastels fairly well, I thought it was time to begin. Having cleaner pastels also helped. I also decided to work from light to dark this time, like a watercolor, and it seems to have been a bit more successful. My colors were getting rather muddy in the last one. I also did not apply any fixative to the painting until it was done. In the others I had used workable fixative between layers.
Overall, rather a bit more pleased with this pastel painting than yesterday’s. It was more pleasant to do, probably in part because I simplified my approach. Working light to dark – putting in the sky and water first – may also have helped. The Uart 800 sanded pastel paper was really nice, too, and gave a nice smooth finish as the paper has a very fine tooth to it. I used a final fixative on it, but I am still unsure how many layers of final fixative are to be used.
Now, time to attach sleeves to the sweater I am knitting!