A bit out of proportion – obviously put together by a madman or seriously abused in its lifetime – this green, enamel-over-metal teapot was my first flirtation with “metallic” for #WorldWatercolorMonth2019. I think it is okay, but really more of a warm up study. The ones that follow are a bit better. As I was doing them, I became more confident in the brushwork.
This is rather obviously a teaspoon – but the handle is really too short! Thus, it is now a sugar bowl spoon.
I need to practice drawing more, and working on relationships of size and such. While my painting is improving, I can’t say my drawing is.
Nonetheless, I am pleased with this. I used only Payne’s Grey and used it in varying strengths to create a (gasp!) monochromatic watercolor study.
Nest is an old brass skeleton key. I used Burnt Umber, Quin Gold, Organic Vermilion, and Payne’s Grey. I figured since I had done something with underlying metal and silver, a gold color was necessary.
Working my way through these paintings did not take a lot of time, but they did focus my attention. The elements of contrast I am learning in gouache is really becoming apparent in my watercolors.
Bolder brushwork, too. In gouache, I have been doing a lot of scumbling; here, I am working by holding the brush at its end, away from the ferrule, and holding it more loosely. It works as far as freeing me from a sense of “I have to do this perfectly” – don’t know why, but it is interesting to see how a physical stance changes the mental, and perhaps the final artistic result.