The last version of “The Slough, II” – at least for now! This is in watercolor, and it was actually fairly easy to render as I have now painted the same image 3 times, 6 if you consider the first series. Perspective is okay, but rendering of distance along the beach across the water is a bit problematic. Rather than using a pencil to create the drawing, I used a dagger brush and Quinacridone Gold to outline the shapes. I left the cliffs totally white and then added crevasses and such with varying colors.
Doing a whole series, in different media, of the same subject has been so much fun! I expect I will continue to do so. Daily painting – pastels, gouache, and watercolor – is becoming the central focus of most of my days, unless I am sewing masks or just need a change of pace. Too much of one thing doesn’t sit well with me – that’s why I use so many different media! I get bored easily and the monkey mind screams out . . .
A second rendition of “The Slough, II”, this time in pastels on Mi Teintes 9×12 paper. Perspective is fixed, and I like this version so much better!
The original “The Slough, II” was done in gouache a few days ago – you can see it in my earlier post. That version was totally wackadoodle in the world of real perspective – the only part that worked out was the front curve of sand, whereas the midground and background didn’t work. Fraggy (another blogger!) had some good insights about the issues.
In thinking about Fraggy’s comments as well as reviewing what I did, I really have no excuse. I just did a very, very poor drawing on the paper, sort of sketching things in without checking their relationships. So, today, I worked on the drawing a bit, and the result is much better. I considered vanishing points and straight lines, et cetera, et cetera.
I really feel so at home with pastels. My only complaint is that the end product is easily smeared, even with the use of “final” fixatives. I need to research that a bit . . .